Ph.D., University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
M.S., Edinburgh University (Scotland)
M.A., Wheaton College (Illinois)
B.A., University of Illinois (Chicago)
About Lynn Cooper
Communication Competency in the Workplace, including:
Applied Communication Research
Decision-Making and Problem-Solving
- Public Speaking (COMM 101)
- Fundamentals of Oral Communication (COMM 201)
- Communication and Diversity (Comm 223)
- Group Dynamics (COMM 362)
- Leadership (Comm 362)
- Organizational Communication (COMM 461)
- Senior Seminar (Comm 494)
Membership in Professional Societies
- Central States Communication Assocation (CSCA)
- International Listening Assocation (ILA)
- National Communication Association (NCA)
- Quantitative, qualitative, and applied communication research in the areas of:
- Organizational Listening Competency
- Small Group Dynamics
- Non-Proft consulting
- Assessment and educational technology
Recent Publications and Presentations
Bodie, G., Worthington, D., Imhof, M., and Cooper, L.O. (2008). What would a unified field of listening look like? A proposal linking past perspectives and future endeavors. International Journal of Listening 22 (2), 103-122.
Cooper, L. O. and Buchanan, T. (2010). Listening competency on campus: A psychometric analysis of student listening. International Journal of Listening, 24 (3).
Cooper, L. O. (2011). WebGrader: An on-line instrument for evaluation and assessment of oral competency. Communication Teacher, 25(1), 68-80.
Cooper , L. O., & Buchanan, T. (2011). Perceptions of interpersonal competence among college students: A comparison of self and other ratings in initial interactions. Paper presented at the Central States Communication Association convention in Milwaukee, WI.
Articles under review
Cooper, L. O., Mowery, A., Burlingame, R., & Melby, D. Patterns of Student Financial Giving.
Cooper, L. O. Organizational communication consulting.
Cooper, L. O. Virtual speech centers: A resource for building communication competency.