Opera is a meticulous year-long course that provides primary attention to the careful musical, vocal, and dramatic learning of a given role as students participate in the production of a classic operative masterpiece.
Fall Semester focuses on preparation and rehearsals of a full length operatic production with four public performances.
Spring Semester provides training in acting, movement, dance, stage combat, audition techniques, scene study and an informal performance.
Noye's Fludde, 2016
- 2017 – Magic Flute
- 2016 – Noye’s Fludde
- 2015 – Dido and Aeneas
- 2014 – The Tender Land
- 2013 – Pirates of Penzance
The Conservatory's opera faculty are accomplished professionals who provide rigorous instruction to educate and prepare students to proceed into today's competitive vocal world. All of the professors listed under "Voice" in Faculty by Area will take part in training students in opera.
Conservatory graduates have won prizes and/or were finalists in competitions through the following programs:
- Metropolitan Opera National Council Audition
- Bel Canto Opera Foundation
- Lyric Opera Chicago - Ryan Opera Center
- Glimmerglass Festival Young Artist Program
- Florida Grand Opera Young Artist Program
- Santa Fe Opera
- Wolf Trap Opera
- Richard Tucker Music Foundation
- Opera Index Award
- Stella Maris International Vocal Competition