B.A. (Journalism), Asbury College
M.F.A. (Creative Writing), Old Dominion University
About Nicole Mazzarella
Dr. Mazzarella's interests include Contemporary Fiction, Writings of Contemplatives, Travel Writing, and Screenwriting.
- ENGL 102 - Literature of the Western World
- ENGL 105 - Literature of the Modern World
- ENGL 335 - Development of the Short Story
- ENGW 103 - Writing Effective Prose (4 hrs.)
- ENGW 104 - Writing Effective Prose (2 hrs.)
- ENGW 313 - Creative Writing
- ENGW 444 - Special Topics Seminar: The Role of Narrator, Character and Author in Theory and Craft
- ENGW 444 - Varied Topics in Writing: Novella
- ENGW 444 - Varied Topics in Writing: Short Story
- ENGW 444 - Varied Topics in Writing: Travel Writing
- ENGW 436 - Fiction Writing
- ENGW 494 - Senior Seminar
- ENGW 495 - Independent Studies (Advanced Writing and Theory; Novel Writing and Interactive Narrative; Screenwriting; Advanced Story Writing & Theory; Advanced Creative Non-Fiction; Methods of Teaching Writing; Advanced Novella; Novel Writing; Magical Realism; Playwriting; Speculative Fiction)
At other institutions: Web Design, Creative Writing, and Argument & Persuasion
Membership in Professional Societies
Associated Writing Programs
The question "who speaks?" drives much of my literary research as I explore the relationships between the author, narrator, character and reader and the role of the Christian artist as speaker. This has also influenced my pedagogy as I seek creative ways to empower students to participate in their education.
My fiction explores the influence of place on identity, the role of women, aging, the mysteries of grace, and the nature of forgiveness
Publications and Presentations
"What I Meant to Ask." Antioch Review. (Forthcoming January 2012)
This Heavy Silence. Paraclete Press. Hardcover October 2005. Paperback October 2006 (forthcoming) Flesh. (writer). Documentary. Directed by Kristin R. Lauterbach. Los Angeles, CA: Copper Coin Productions.
The Witch of Portabello. (wrote adaptation). Short Film. Directed by Kristin R. Lauterbach. Los Angeles, CA: Copper Coin Productions 2008.
Grains of Sand. (sole writer). Short Film. Directed by Kristin R. Lauterbach. Los Angeles, CA: 20th Century Fox Films, 2008.
Food for Thought. (contributing writer). Short Film. Directed by Kristin R. Lauterbach. Los Angeles, CA: 20th Century Fox Films, 2008.
Diepe stilte. Kampen: Uitgeverij, 2007. (Dutch translation of This Heavy Silence)
"The Faithful Writer." Reading and panel. Wheaton Scholar Society. Spring 2005.
"GPS." Reading. Illinois Philogical Association. Spring 2005.
"Weeding" Cimarron Review. Spring 2004.
"Teaching Students to Teach" presented at the International University Teaching. Vaxjo, Sweden. 16-18 June 2003.
"What a Mother Knows." Prince Books' Fall Reading Series, Norfolk, VA, September 2000.
"Yearning for the Paradisal Ideal: Milton's Commentary on Divorce and Marriage in Paradise Lost and The Divorce Tracts," English Graduate Student Organization's Annual Conference, Norfolk, VA, February 2000.
"Work Will Set You Free." Arts Celebration Series, Virginia Beach, VA,
"The Problem with Pictures," Prince Books' Spring Reading Series, Norfolk, VA, March 2000.
"Steps," Prince Books' Spring Reading Series, Norfolk, VA, March 1999.
"The Awakening and Erik Erikson's Psychosocial Stages," Old Dominion University Graduate Student Conference, Norfolk, VA, February 1999.