Wheaton in China program features an immersion study of Chinese language and culture with related lectures and workshops, field trips and guided travel. The program begins with an orientation week on Wheaton’s campus or on site devoted to cross-cultural training and concludes with a post-trip self-assessment and reflection project after students have returned from China. The program offers courses in all levels of Chinese for all majors. Language and cultural courses and electives are taught both by Wheaton faculty and by local experts. Wheaton in China includes visits to cultural and historical sites in various cities. Students have the opportunity to worship in local Chinese churches and participate in service-oriented activities. The program is offered bi-annually May-June.
Wheaton in China 2017
The program is a six-week language and culture program (6 Credits) in Tianjin, China that combines intensive language study with cultural immersion.
Anticipated Program Dates
- Pre-trip Orientation on campus: May 8-12, 2017
- On site in China: May 20 – June 17, 2017
- Post-Trip Project: June 19-23, 2017
Tianjin New Century Language and Culture Center
A Comprehensive fee of $4,950 (tentative) includes tuition, lodging, administrative fees, orientation materials, group land transportation, meal cards, textbook materials, lectures as well as trips and cultural activities. Airfare, passport and visa, vaccinations, on-your-own meals, personal items are not included
Students arrange their own flight itinerary to and from Beijing.
CHIN 201 or competency equivalent
Open to Wheaton and non-Wheaton College students
- Cross cultural orientation
- Total immersion program (Chinese only!)
- Language courses taught by Tianjin Language and Culture Center faculty members
- Three types of classes weekly
- Room and board on a Chinese university campus
- One week of home-stay arrangement
- Fellowship with other international and local Chinese students
- Visits to cultural and historical sites in Tianjin and Beijing
- Worship in local churches
If you have questions or would like to know more about the Wheaton in China program, contact Rose Wang, Faculty Instructor, for further information.
Applications must be received no later than Jan. 20th, 2017. A registration fee of $400 is required with the application and will apply to the total cost.
How to Apply
To apply for Wheaton in China and other Global and Experiential Learning options, visit GoGlobal, Wheaton College's registration system for off-campus study and international travel, research, and internships.