The Spanish Major
The Spanish major exists to help students
- develop awareness of the forms and functions of the Spanish language in general
- enhance proficiency in understanding native speech and writing
- communicate effectively and creatively in both oral and graphic modes.
Spanish majors will increase their understanding and appreciation of and empathy for the peoples of Hispanic cultures
- through exposure to representative works of the various literary genres and related art forms of Spain and the Americas
- through study of the regions' historical, philosophical, religious and artistic development
- through awareness of issues and lifestyles of contemporary Hispanic societies
- through personal interaction with native speakers of Spanish in the United States as well as in other countries where Spanish is spoken.
Students will complete the Spanish major
- with enhanced awareness of their own linguistic, cultural and religious heritage
- empowered to relate with respect and consideration to persons from diverse backgrounds
- as enlightened citizens of the world and worthy representatives of the kingdom of Jesus Christ.