Wheaton in Costa Rica is an eight-week summer program that combines language study and practice, cultural immersion, travel and service learning. It provides students a unique opportunity to live in and learn about the culture, language and people of Costa Rica. Students will live with host families in the city of Heredia near the capital and will have opportunities to travel to other regions of the country, including the Pacific and Caribbean coasts and the northern lowlands. Students will also spend nine days in Nicaragua, exploring the reality of Costa Rica’s northern neighbor. In order to maximize learning opportunities, space will be limited to 20 students; priority will be given to Spanish majors and minors.
After a three-day in-country orientation held at Whitworth University’s International Study Center outside of Heredia, students will live with host families in San Rafael de Heredia. Students will spend nine days in Nicaragua during the sixth week of the program; they will participate in 2-3 day trips to Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast, the Pacific province of Guanacaste and the northern region of Upala. During educational excursions, students will stay in modest hotels and/or with host families.
May 28 - July 23, 2013
Students will earn 8-10 credit hours toward the Spanish major or minor. This program fulfills the study abroad requirement for the Spanish major at Wheaton College.
- Spanish 338 (4 hours) “Intensive Advanced Spanish” (required)
- Spanish 489 (4 hours) “Topics in Hispanic Culture” (required)
- Spanish 439 (2 hours) “Church and Mission in Central America” (optional)
Students are required to enroll in Spanish 390 (2 hours) “Contemporary Issues in Central America” in Spring 2013 (B quad). Students who are not able to take this course must complete special assignments.
Professor Néstor Quiroa: email@example.com
Professor Tim Klingler: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wheaton in Costa Rica itinerary will include such features as:
- Lodging at Whitworth University’s International Study Center (WISC) for orientation sessions
- Day trip to Volcán Poás
- Staying with Costa Rican host families
- Tip to Atlantic Coast (visit to EARTH University, banana plantation, the port city of Limón)trip to Northern Costa Rica (visit toRío Celeste waterfall, Arenal Volcano, rural farming village, pineapple plantation)
- Trip to Nicaragua (Visit to Masaya, Managua, Granada)
- Group trip to Guanacaste