Intercultural Studies and Missions
Ph.D., (Human & Community Development)
University of Illinois, Urbana, 1998
M.S., (Human & Community Development)
University of Illinois, Urbana, 1992
B.A., (Psychology) Blackburn College, 1985
About Susan Greener
Susan has invested in work and research with children-at-risk for over two decades in universities and Christian non-governmental organizations. She has served in global development work as a programming leader for Mission of Mercy and Compassion International, working with children and youth living in extreme poverty in more than 30 nations. She has also served in the academy as a researcher in emotional intelligence and health behavior at Yale University, an Assistant Professor and Executive Director of an Early Head Start program while at Berry College, and a Dean of Students for Trinity Evangelical Divinity and Graduate Schools. She is passionate about resourcing the church to engage in transformational and holistic ministry, particularly with children and families in difficult circumstances.
She has been married to Jay, rector of Church of the Redeemer in Highland Park, since 1981 and has three grown children and two daughters-in-law (Jonathan and Emily, Caitlin, and Nicholas and Lauren) and one grandchild (Owen). When not working she can usually be found with her nose in a novel, solving a crossword puzzle, spending time with her family, playing with pets or small children or laughing with friends.
- Cross-Cultural Research Methods
- Intercultural Communication
- Mission to Children and Youth-at-Risk
- Principles of Development
- Theology of Development in Global Perspective
- Cross-Cultural Human Development
- Families in International Settings
- Developmental Issues of Childhood and Youth
- Human Development: Prenatal through Adolescence
- Human Development in Context
- Early Childhood Education and Methodology
- Middle Childhood
Membership in Professional Societies
- Global issues facing children-at-risk
- Global conceptualizations of human development/childhood/family
- Equipping educational persons working with children-at-risk
- Child theology/spirituality (especially in areas of suffering and risk)
- Integration of sound social science with theology for maximum holistic ministry impact.
Publications and Papers
- Greener, S.H. & Oladipo, R., Chief Editors, (2013). Our Children, Our Being: Christian Reflections and Research on Child Development in an African Context. Nairobi, Kenya: Daystar University Press.
- Greener, S.H. (in preparation). Conflict and Culture. In S. Moreau, E. Campbell, and S. Greener, Introducing Intercultural Communication. Michigan: Baker Books.
- Greener, S.H. (in press). Raising Samuel: Releasing Children to Discover God’s Purpose. In D. Brewster (Ed), Children and Mission: Recognizing children and Youth as Strategic Partners in Mission.
- Greener, S.H. (in press). Whose Childhood? Global Experiences of Children-at-Risk and Spiritual Formation. In L. Tolbert (Ed), Exploring and Engaging Spirituality for Today's Children. Wipf and Stock.
- Greener, S.H. (2003). The Abused and Traumatized Child in Context. Celebrating Children: Equipping Christians Working with Children at Risk Across the World. Paternoster Press.
- Greener, S.H. (2003). The Child in Context: Factors that Optimize Development. Celebrating Children: Equipping Christian Working with Children at Risk Across the World. Paternoster Press.
- Boan, D., Gailey, R., Greener, S., & Aten, J (in preparation). The Well-Prepared Development Worker.
- Rockhill, C., & Greener, S.H. (2000) "Development of the Trait Meta-Mood Scale for Elementary School Children." ERIC ED 430 688.
- Greener, S.H., & Crick, N.R. (1999). "Children's Normative Beliefs About Prosocial Behavior: What Does It Mean to Be Nice?" Social Development, 8(3), 349-363.
- Greener, S.H. (2000). "Peer assessment of children's prosocial behavior." Journal of Moral Education (29)1.
- Greener, S.H. (Fall,2011). Book Review: "Listening to Children on the spiritual Journey: Guidance for Those Who Teach and Nurture." Trinity Journal (Vol 32 NS, No.2), pp. 277-279.
- Greener, S.H. (Fall, 2008). Book Review: "Flawed Families of the Bible: How God’s Grace works Through Imperfect Relationships." Trinity Journal (Vol. 29 NS, No. 2), pp. 336-7.
- Greener, S.H. (2009). Involuntary Student Withdrawal Policy. Trinity International University.
- Greener, S.H. (2007). Grievance Procedure for Discriminatory and Harassment and Complaints. Trinity International University.
- Greener, S.H.(2006). Child Protection Policy. Trinity International University.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Mission of Mercy Child Sponsorship Program Manual. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Child Protection Policy. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Sponsor Gift Policy. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Greener, S.H. (2004). Policy on Savings Accounts for Sponsored Children. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Greener, S.H., & Misao, D. (2003). A Multi-method Description and Analysis of Child Sponsorship Programmes in India. Mission of Mercy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2001). Key Result Areas and Indicators for Child Programming. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2001). What is Holistic Child Develoment? Compassion International.
- Greener, S.H. (2000). Early Childhood Program Manual. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (2000). Early Childhood Program Resource Book. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Greener, S.H. (1999-2002). Ministry Insights. Compassion International, Colorado Springs, Colorado. "Why Work Directly with Children? Child Survival Programs, Early Childhood Development, Quality Leadership in Early Childhood Development Programs, and Why a Prenatal Program?"
Selected Recent Presentations
- 2013 Consultant, to Senior Associate for Lausanne Movement Cape Town Commitment to Children-at-Risk, Menchit Wong
- April, 2013 Workshop Presenter. Whose Childhood? Global Experiences of Children-at-Risk and Spiritual Formation, Community Development and Mission Track. North Central Region Annual Evangelical Missiological Society Conference, Deerfield, IL
- April, 2013 Panelist. Community Development and Missions. North Central Region Annual Evangelical Missiological Society Conference, Deerfield, IL
- Feb., 2013 Plenary Speaker, 4-14 Missiology Conference, Seoul, SK, Children and Youth as Agents of Transformation and Mission
- Nov., 2012 Workshop Leader with Robert Gailey of Point Loma Nazarene University, The Well-Prepared Development Worker, ACCORD Network: Equipping and Mobilizing the Christian Community to End Poverty, Pre-Forum Lab, Developing Excellence Forum, Colorado Springs, CO
- Sept., 2012 Panelist, Evangelical Missiological Society, North American Missions Leaders Conference, Current Developments in Community Development, Chicago, IL
- June, 2012 Consultant/Trainer, Shyira Anglican Diocese of Rwanda, Equipping Early Childhood Teachers in Indigenous Church-Based Preschools: Effective Education and Support of Families Leading to Church Growth, Musanze, Rwanda
- 2011 Member, Henry Center on Theological Understanding at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Consultation on Pedagogical Practices that Enhance Teaching and Learning in Multi-national Learning Environments, Chicago, IL
- 2011 Panelist, American Society of Missiology Annual Meeting, Mission to Children-at-Risk Symposium, Chicago, IL
- 2010 Plenary Presentation, Lessons I Am Ever Learning: Excellence in Holistic Child and Youth Development. Association of Evangelical Relief and Development Organizations (AERDO), Summit on Excellence for Holistic Child & Youth Development, Colorado Springs, CO
- 2009- Program Committee Member, VIVA North America Conference for Children-at-Risk
- 2008 Consultant, The Child in the Bible, (M.J. Bunge, General Editor), Eerdmans, 2008.
- 2008 Presenter, panelist, network facilitator, International Cutting Edge VIVA Conference for Children-at-Risk, Wheaton, IL
- 2003-07 Program Chair, International Cutting Edge VIVA Conference on Ministry and Children-at-Risk
- 2006 Plenary Presentation, Fuller Theological Seminary Missiology Conference, School of Intercultural Studies, November, 2006, Children in the Church: Our Ministry Application Based on Biblical Principles and Sound Social Science
- 2006 Plenary Presentation, Overseas Ministries Studies Center, Mission Leadership Forum, April, 2006, Holistic Ministry to Children at Risk