- Math 232 - Calculus II Calculus I is prerequisite to Calculus II. Many mathematics majors arrive at Wheaton with AP credit for Calculus I. Accordingly, the prerequisite course Calculus I is not counted towards a mathematics major. The major begins with Calculus II with topics such as infinite series, polar coordinates, three-dimensional geometry and vector algebra, functions of two and three variables, partial differentiation and multiple integration.
- Math 245 - Linear Algebra Linear Algebra is a pre-requisite for a number of upper division math courses. Offered every semester, math majors complete this course before the end of their sophomore year.
- Math 331- Vector Calculus This 2 semester hour course completes the calculus sequence. It should be completed during the freshman or sophomore year.
- Math 341 - Algebra I The study of algebraic structures serves as one of the two theory courses in the major. We recommend that Math 341 should be taken in the spring semester of the junior year.
- Math 351 - Analysis I Together with Algebra I, this course is one of our two theory courses. It is usually taken in the fall semester of the junior year.
- Math 494 - History and Foundations of Mathematics The capstone course for the major, Math 494 should be taken in the spring semester of the senior year. Algebra I and Analysis I are prerequisites.
Three (3) of the following courses be chosen to complete the major. At least one of them must be an applied course (indicated below by an *):
- Math 333 Differential Equations*
- Math 352 Complex Analysis
- Math 362 Geometry
- Math 363 Probability and Statistics I
- Math 364 Math Modeling*
- Math 385 Topics in Applied Mathematics*
- Math 441 Algebra II
- Math 451 Analysis II
- Math 463 Probability and Statistics II*
- Math 485 Advanced Topics in Mathematics
- Math 493 Mentoring Seminar
Math & Education double majors and MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching)
Students double-majoring in math and education or students enrolled in the MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) program must comply with the course requirements of those programs, in addition to the requirements of the math major listed above. Please consult the Department of Education for these requirements.
Applied Math Major
Students majoring in Applied Math have different course requirements. Please consult Applied Math for requirements and course descriptions.
Learn More and Apply
If you have questions or would like to schedule a visit, contact us. And if you're ready, learn more about how to apply today!