Biblical and Theological Studies Department
Blanchard Professor of Theology
On Faculty since 2001
Office: BGC 553
Ph.D. (Systematic Theology), Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (2002)
Th.M. (New Testament), Grand Rapids Theological Seminary (1998)
M.Div., Grand Rapids Theological Seminary (1996)
About Daniel Treier
I grew up on a farm outside Bloomdale, Ohio, a town of 700. I am married to Amy Black (Treier), who teaches Political Science at Wheaton. Our daughter Anna arrived in 2008.
My church background prepared me for Wheaton by including Methodist, (Grace) Brethren, Baptist, Evangelical Free, (briefly) Anglican, and now Presbyterian churches: my theological commitments are evangelical and eclectic, (very) broadly in the Reformed tradition.
My scholarship focuses generally on evangelical systematic theology and theological interpretation of the Bible, more specifically on Christology and cultural engagement. A unifying theme is pursuit of wisdom, on that basis hoping to address complex contemporary issues such as technology.
Hobbies, aside from chasing after Anna, include reading, watching baseball, reading, golfing, and reading.
Also co-editor of eight books; for a complete list of publications and/or advice on preparing for a PhD, see here.
- Over twenty different undergraduate and graduate courses
- Current electives focus on Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Oliver O'Donovan, Christology, and ecclesiology
- The first-year PhD seminar on hermeneutics
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Academy of Religion
- Christian Theological Research Fellowship
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute for Biblical Research (Friend)
- International Bonhoeffer Society
- International Jacques Ellul Society
- Karl Barth Society of North America
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Currently editing a revision of Walter Elwell's Evangelical Dictionary of Theology (Baker Academic, due 2016)
- Consulting editor, International Theological Commentary series (T & T Clark)
- Co-editor with Kevin J. Vanhoozer, Studies in Christian Doctrine and Scripture series (IVP Academic)