Associate Professor, Executive Director of Billy Graham Center
On Faculty since 2000
Office: Billy Graham Center
Doctor of Ministry in Homiletics (Preaching), Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Boston, 1996
Master of Divinity Studies (equivalency), North Park Theological Seminary, Chicago, 1990
Studies, Jean Shelton School of Acting, as well as numerous theatrical, television, and improvisational workshops, San Francisco, 1982-1989
Master of Arts in Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, 1980
Bachelor of Science in Recreation Science, California State University at Hayward, 1974
About Lon Allison
Lon Allison is a Christian communicator, evangelist, educator, pastor, and performing artist who has served as a youth minister, as pastor of three churches, as a denominational and parachurch leader, and as a guest speaker at churches and conferences the world over for the last 25 years. He has published two books and numerous articles on topics of evangelism, spiritual formation, preaching, church growth and leadership.
Lon and his wife Marie reside in West Chicago, Illinois. They have three adult children: daughters – Tara and Courtney, and son – Eric. His aspiration is to be faithful to his family as lover, provider, spiritual guide, and fun-loving friend.
Lon enjoys many fitness ventures. He is an amateur tri-athlete, mountain climber and marathon runner and has fun with his family skiing on water and snow.
He serves as the Executive Director of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College. There he directs a comprehensive team that seeks to “Accelerate Global Evangelism.” He is also Associate Professor of Evangelism and Leadership at Wheaton College Graduate School and has taught masters and doctoral evangelism courses at North Park, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and Northern Baptist Seminary.
Lon also has a professional background in music and theater. He is a published songwriter, gospel recording artist, and professional actor with credits on stage and television. His presentations to churches and conferences often combine speaking, music, and drama in an informative and compelling way.
Lon has a heart for the unchurched person. Converted at age 17 and not involved in a church until age 20, he remembers what it is to be outside of Christ and the Church. His pastorates were new churches whose philosophy of ministry was first and foremost to reach unchurched people with the message of new birth. Today, he brings a history of those experiments: the successes and sorrows, the achievements and the mistakes, and most of all an increasing confidence that God wants lost people found and will use every Christian to do it.
Lon is affiliated with a Bible Church. He is also ordained by the Evangelical Covenant Church.
- EVAN 547- Evangelistic Communication
- EVAN 556- Leadership and Evangelism
- EVAN 694--Evangelistic Leadership II
Membership in Professional Societies
- National Association of Evangelicals Board
- Consulting Editor, Outreach Magazine
- Executive Committee, USA Lausanne Committee for World Evangelization (also known as Mission America)
- Team Member of Leighton Ford Point Group. The group consists of 10 leaders of evangelism, mission and church growth from around the world. (1991-Present)
- Trainer in Prayer and Evangelism, Evangelical Covenant Denomination
- Executive Committee, Internet Evangelism Network, 2000 to present
- Adjunct Faculty, North Park Theological Seminary
- Instructor, Trinity International University
- Instructor, Northern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Faculty, Arrow Leadership Ministries
- Board, Leighton Ford Ministries
- Emergent Church
- Contextualization of Evangelism
- Diverse areas of Leadership
- Homiletics and Evangelism
- Evangelism Effectiveness in the Local Church
- Homiletics and Theatre Arts
- Spiritual Formation
"The Finish Line is Not the Finish,” Lausanne World Pulse, April 2007.
"Witness as a Way of Life,” Decision Magazine, March 2007
John R. Mott, That the World May Believe, EMIS Publications, 2002.
Going Public with the Gospel, InterVarsity Press, 2003 (co-author)
"Rethinking Mass Evangelism" presented at Evangelism Roundtable III, 2004 (co-author)
"Strategic Cooperation with God in Evangelism" presented at Evangelism Roundtable I, 2001
Lectio Divina, Rediscovering the Word, Covenant Companion, January 1998
Let the Man Speak, Equipping Evangelists Newsletter, September, 1997
Urban Mission, Explored and Expanded, Consultation on the Cities Syllabus, September, 1992
Tools for the Task, Learning to be a Personal Evangelist, Covenant Companion, June 1992
Why Evangelize, Covenant Companion, March 1991
Acts 29, Continuing The Story, Covenant Companion, February, 1991
Bringing My World To Christ, Bible Study Series Forty-One, Covenant Companion, March-May, 1990