Ph.D., Hispanic Languages and Literatures, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2014
M.A., Spanish and Spanish American Literature, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2008
M.A., Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, 2006
B.A., Political Science and Spanish, Wheaton College, 1993
- Protestants in Spanish and Latin American Literature
- Images of Christ in Latin American Poetry
- Spanish Language Literature in the United States
- 20th Century Costa Rican Literature
- Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
- Protestant Religious Experience in Latin America
- Technology in Second Language Acquisition
- Forms of Address in Costa Rican Spanish
- Developing Intercultural Competency in Study Abroad Programs
- Spanish 103 Accelerated Elementary Spanish
- Spanish 201 Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish 331 Advanced Spanish Conversation
- Spanish 335 Latin American Cultures and Civilizations
- Spanish 338 Intensive Advanced Spanish (Costa Rica)
- Spanish 489 Church and Society in Latin America
- Spanish 489 Crossing Borders: Immigration in Contemporary Latin American Literature and Film
- Spanish 489 The Latino Evangelical Church: A Historic and Ethnographic Survey
- Spanish 489 Area Studies: Central America
- Spanish 489 Mexico Country Study
- Spanish 494 Engaging Mexican Cultures (Querétaro, México)
- Spanish 494 Contemporary Topics in Costa Rica and Nicaragua (Costa Rica/Nicaragua)
- Spanish 494 Latinos in the United States
- Resident Director, Wheaton in Mexico (Spring 2014, 2016)
- Co-Director, Wheaton in Costa Rica (Summer 2013)
Membership in Professional Associations
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Christian Association of World Languages (CAWL)
- Conference on Christianity and Literature
- Latin American Studies Association
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
Publications and Presentations
"Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz: Biblical Exegete and Advocate of Christian Liberal Learning", Faith and Learning Paper, Wheaton College. 2016.
“Serra en la Sierra: Fray Junípero Serra’s Missionary Efforts in Querétaro, México and the Genealogy of the California Missions”, San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Mission, San Luis Obispo, California. June 2014
“El ‘otro’ nicaragüense en el imaginario costarricense: ¿Una deuda pendiente con Mamita Yunai?”, Midwest Modern Language Association Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, Ohio, November 2012
“Jugando con temas de género en Hombres en escabeche de Ana Istarú”, Midwest Modern Language Association Annual Meeting, Saint Louis, Missouri, November 2011.
“Bala en La Bombilla: La reconstrucción de José de León Toral en "Los mochos" de Ignacio Solares,” 13th Colloquium on Mexican Literature, UC-Mexicanistas and the University of California, Santa Barbara, November 6, 2010.
Book review, Rancheros in Chicagoacán: Language and Identity in a Transnational Community, by Marcia Farr, Journal of Sociolinguistics 14.4 (2010): 554-58.
“La carnavalización de las Memorias de Padre Mier en El mundo alucinante de Reinaldo Arenas,” 11th Annual Graduate Student Conference on Hispanic and Lusophone Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics, University of California, Santa Barbara, February 2009.
“Liberation Theology: An Ecclesiological Charism for Latin American Pentecostalism,” Second Joint Meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies and the Wesleyan Theological Society, Lexington, Kentucky, March 2003.