“The Cost of Diversity: Endogenous Property Rights and Growth,” Constitutional Political Economy, 11, 2000, 319-337.
“Regulation, Profit Variability and Beta,” (with John J. Binder), Journal of Regulatory Economics, 15, 1999, 249-265.
“Poverty, Property Rights and Human Well-Being: A Cross-National Study,” Cato Journal, Fall 1998, 233-245.
“Information and Competitive Advantage: The Rise of General Motors,” Journal of Law and Economics, April 1997, 245-260.
Reprinted in John C. Wood, ed., Alfred P. Sloan: Critical Evaluations in Business and Management, 2003, London, Routledge.
“Is Franchising a Capital Structure Issue?” Journal of Corporate Finance, October 1995, 75-101.
“Vertical Integration and Systematic Risk: Oil Refining Revisited,” Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economic, December 1993, 656-669.
“Transaction Costs, Telecommunications, and the Microeconomics of Macroeconomic Growth,” Economic Development and Cultural Change, October 1992, 175-196.
“Franchising, Labor Productivity, and the New Institutional Economics,” Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, December 1989, 578-596.
“An Economic Perspective on the Information Content of Magazine Advertisements,” (with Will Norton, Jr.), International Journal of Advertising, Summer 1988, 138-148.
“Franchising, Brand Name Capital, and the Entrepreneurial Capacity Problem,” Strategic Management Journal, Summer 1988, 105-114.
Reprinted in Paul Westhead and Mike Wright, ed., Advances in Entrepreneurship, 1999, Glos, U.K.
“An Empirical Look at Franchising as an Organizational Form,” Journal of Business, April 1988, 197-218.
“Regulation and the Wealth Effects of the OPEC Supply Shock on Electric Utilities,” Economic Inquiry, April 1988, 197-217.
“In Search of Regulatory Lag,” Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Autumn 1987, 3-16.
“The Coase Theorem and Suboptimization in Marketing Channels,” Marketing Science, Summer 1987, 268-285.
“Economies of Scale and the New Technology of Daily Newspapers: A Survivor Analysis,” (with Will Norton, Jr.), Quarterly Review of Economics and Business, Summer 1986, 66-83.
“Advertising Restrictions and the Size Distribution of Firms: The Case of the U.S. Retail Drug Industry,” International Journal of Advertising, 5, 1986, 59-72.
“Regulation and Systematic Risk: The Case of Electric Utilities,” Journal of Law and Economics, October 1985, 671-690.
“Economic Freedom and World Poverty” (with James Gwartney) in James Gwartney and Robert Lawson, Economic Freedom in the World. 2008. Vancouver: Frazer Institute, 2008, 23-40.
“A Comparison of Company Owned and Franchised Fast Food Outlet Performance---Insights from Health Inspection Scores,” (with Roy Beheler and Kabir Sen) in Gerhard Girard, and Josef Windsberger, ed. Strategy and Governance of Networks: Franchising, Cooperatives and Strategic Alliances, Springer-Verlag, 2008, 113-125.
“General Motors: Lost Dominance,” in Victor J. Tremblay and Carol Horton Tremblay, ed., Industry and Firm Studies, Fourth edition, M.E. Sharpe, 2007, 269-292.
“The Deuteronomic Double Standard: Human Nature and the Nature of Markets,” in Nicholas Capaldi, ed. Business and Religion: A Clash of Civilizations, M & M Scrivener Press, 2005, 111-124.
“Empirical Issues in Culture and Property Rights,” in Enrico Colombatto, ed., The Elgar Companion to the Economics of Property Rights, Edward Elgar, 2004, 85-107.
“Towards a More General Theory of Franchise Governance,” in Gerard Cliquet, George Hendrikse, and Josef Windsperger, ed. The Economics and Management of Franchised Networks, Springer, 2004, 17-37.
“Population Growth, Economic Freedom, and the Rule of Law,” in Terry L. Anderson, ed. You Have to Admit It’s Getting Better: From Economic Prosperity to Environmental Quality. Stanford: Hoover, 2004, 143-172.
“Property Rights, the Environment and Economic Well-Being,” in P.J. Hill and Roger E. Meiners, ed. Who Owns the Environment? 1998, Oxford: Roman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 37-54.
Publications - Monographs
Population Growth, Economic Freedom and the Rule of Law, PERC Policy Series, February 2002.
The Competitive Effects of Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices on Distribution Systems: The Case of the United States, 1987, Distribution Policy Institute, Tokyo, Japan.
Publications - Book Review
Democracy, Governance, and Economic Performance, Independent Review, Fall 2005, 285-289.
“On the Near Optimality of Aboriginal Property Rights.”
“Frank Knight on Business Strategy.”
“Economic Institutions, Human Capital, Institutions, and World Poverty.”
“The Human Face of Globalization: Trade Openness and World Poverty”
“Economic Freedom, Trade Openness and World Poverty”
“The Schumpeterian Shock at General Motors in the 1920’s.”
“Population Growth, Property Rights, and Human Well Being.”
- American Economics Association
- American Finance Association
- Association of Christian Economists
- Association of Private Enterprise Education
- International Society for the New Institutional Economics
- National Association of Business Economists
- National Association of Forensic Economics
- Southern Economics Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Strategic Management Society
- Western Economics Association International
- Executive Board Member, Western Economics Association International, July 2008 to present.
- Secretary-Treasurer, Western Economic Association International, July 2009 to present.
- Contemporary Economic Policy
- Eastern Economic Journal
- Economic Inquiry
- Economic Journal
- Growth and Change
- International Journal of the Economics of Business
- Journal of Business
- Journal of Business Economics
- Journal of Corporate Finance
- Journal of Economics and Business
- Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Journal of Economic Education
- Journal of Industrial Economics
- Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economic
- Journal of Law, Economics & Organization
- Journal of Political Economy
- Journal of Retailing
- Management Science
- Managerial and Decision Economics
- Marketing Science
- Oxford Economic Papers
- Quarterly Review of Economics and Business
- Southern Economic Journal
- Project Reviewer: National Science Foundation
Institutional Service-Wheaton College
- Member, Search Committee for Senior Women’s Athletic Administrator, 2003.
- Member, Advancement Campaign for Intercollegiate Athletics Endowment, 2002-2003.
- Member, Search Committee for Volkman Chaired Professorship in Business and Law, 2002-2003.
- President’s Task Force on Intercollegiate Athletics, 2001-2002.
- Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, 2000-2005.
- Safety Review Subcommittee, 1996 to 2000.
- Assistant Varsity Wrestling Coach, 1995-96. Assisted in daily practice, travel, and meet coaching.
- Head Varsity Wrestling Coach, 1996-2008. Responsible for scheduling wrestling meets, student athlete recruiting, organizing practice, travel arrangements, fund raising and execution for Wheaton Invitational—most prestigious NCAA Division III Invitational tournament, and student academic and spiritual development. Coached 16 individual College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin Conference Champions, five All-Americans, five scholar All-Americans, one scholar All American Team, and Two NCAA Division III National Champions. Named College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin Wrestling Coach of the Year, 2007.
Institutional Service-Washington University
- Chair, Recruiting Committee for Director, John M. Olin Management Center, 1990.
- Chair, Ad Hoc Committee on International Business Education, 1989-1990.
- Member, BSBA Committee: Review of curriculum and academic policies for undergraduate degree programs, 1986-1989.
- Member, MBA Committee: Review of curriculum and academic policies for MBA program, 1986-89.
- Chair, Marketing Group Recruiting, 1986-1988.
- Chair, Marketing Ph.D. Prelim examination committee, 1988.
Doctoral Dissertations (Washington University)
- Chair, Kabir Sen, marketing (Olin School of Business).
- Chair, Michael Ollinger, economics (Arts & Sciences, economics department).
- Chair, Zhu-Hun Gheam, economics (Arts & Science, economics department).
Doctoral Dissertations Continued
- Committee member, David Brown, economics/finance (Arts & Sciences, economics department).
- Committee member, Marsha Puro, accounting (Olin School of Business).
- Workshop Paper Presentations
- Ball State University
- University of Chicago
- Claremont Graduate School
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Illinois State University
- PERC, Bozeman, MT
- University of Pittsburgh
- Rice University
- Simon Fraser University
- Wake Forest University
- Washington University, St. Louis
- University of Washington, Seattle
Conference Paper Presentations
Association of Private Enterprise Association, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009.
Association for the Study of Economics, Religion, and Culture, Portland, 2006.
Economics and Management of Networks, University of Vienna, 2003; Erasmus University, Rotterdam School of Management, 2007.
Ethics and Spirituality in Business, Loyola University, New Orleans, 2004.
Management Science, 1990
Nairobi/World Bank/Anglican Bishops Conference on African Poverty, 1999.
Marketing Science, 1985, 1986.
Midwest Economic Association, 1986.
Northwestern University-Kellogg School of Management, (Strategy Content) 1987.
International Society for the New Institutional Economics, University of Paris, Sorbonne, 1998, University of California, Berkeley, 2009, University of Stirling, 2010.
Southern Economics Association, 2001, 2007.
University of Michigan (Franchising), 1994.
Western Economic Association International, 1991, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010.
Church and Community Service
Victory Wrestling Camp Ministry Coaching, Summer 2004.
Strider Kids Wrestling Ministries, Fall 2005-Winter 2006, Fall 2006.
Moody Radio, ad hoc Economic Commentary for “Prime Time America” Winter 2009 to present.