Ph.D., Spanish Literature - The Ohio State University, 2007
M.A., Spanish Literature - The Ohio State University, 2003
B.A., Spanish and English, Wheaton College, 2001
- Elementary Spanish II (SPAN 102)
- Accelerated Elementary Spanish (SPAN 103)
- Intermediate Spanish (SPAN 201)
- Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition (SPAN 332)
- Spanish Civilization and Culture (SPAN 334)
- Spanish Literature Survey (SPAN 336)
- Mentoring: “Soledad Puértolas”; Memory in Spanish Literature; Independent Research (SPAN 493)
- Senior Seminar: “Postwar Spain” (SPAN 494)
Membership in Professional Societies
- Christian Association of World Languages (CAWL), Past President
- Novels, stories, memoirs and essays of Soledad Puértolas
- Memory studies and the use of memory in contemporary Spanish narrative
- Spanish Civil War and its continuing impact on Spanish literature and culture
- Ethical and Biblical dimensions of memory and nostalgia
- Portrayal of women in narrative and theater of Spain
- Photography studies
- Globalization and education in languages and cultures
- Immigration issues
Townsend, Tamara L. Memory and Identity in the Narratives of Soledad Puértolas: Constructing the Past and the Self. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2014.
Townsend, Tamara L. “Nostalgia and Retrospective Teleology in Soledad Puértolas’s Queda la noche.” Journal of Christianity and Foreign Languages 16 (2015): 39-53.
Townsend, Tamara. “The Gospel, Liberal Arts, and Global Engagement.” In Liberal Arts for the Christian Life, edited by Jeffry C. Davis and Philip G. Ryken, 285-92. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2012.
“Learning to Listen, Listening to Learn: Christian Liberal Arts and Global Engagement,” Interdisciplinary Studies Spring Lecture, Wheaton College, 16 April 2012.
“Encouraging Student Development through Mentoring Courses,” World Languages and Global Christianity, 22nd Annual Conference, North American Christian Foreign Language Association, Westmont College, 22-24 March 2012.
“Julio Llamazares’s Narratives of an Unjust Past: Cultivating a Faithful Response,” Narratives that Shape Us, 21st Annual Conference, North American Christian Foreign Language Association, Abilene Christian University, 7-9 April 2011.
“Motherless and Meaningless: ‘La hija predilecta’ by Soledad Puértolas,” Hospitality to the Stranger, 20th Annual Conference, North American Christian Foreign Language Association, Anderson University, 8-10 April 2010.
“Memory, Photography and Distortion of the Past in Contemporary Spain,” Humanities Brown Bag Colloquium, Wheaton College, 5 February 2010.
“Nostalgia as Misdirected Hope in Queda la noche by Soledad Puértolas,” World Languages: Reading the World, 19th Annual Conference, North American Christian Foreign Language Association, Point Loma Nazarene University, 26-28 March, 2009.
“Nostalgia and Homesickness in ‘La corriente del golfo’ by Soledad Puértolas,” Women, Home and Nation: Private and Public Spaces, 17th Annual Conference, Binghamton University (SUNY), 14-15 March, 2008.
“Memory and Photography in Historia de un abrigo by Soledad Puértolas,” Twelfth Annual Carolina Conference on Romance Literature, 23-25 March, 2006.
“Mujeres desocupadas, mujeres desesperadas: Las protagonistas de Soledad Puértolas y su búsqueda del reconocimiento en unos cuentos de La corriente del golfo,” Cincinnati Romance Languages and Literatures Conference for 2005, 12-14 May, 2005.
“Acercarse a Jaime Gil de Biedma: El amor y la función del monólogo dramático,” Sixth Annual Ohio State University Graduate Student Symposium on Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Literature, Linguistics and Cultures, 7-8 March, 2003.