Assistant Professor of Education
On Faculty since 2010
Ed. D., Educational Leadership St. Mary's University, 2006
M. Ed., Educational Leadership, Bethel University, 2000
B. A., Secondary Education, Bethel University, 1992
About Timothy Wiens
Dr. Wiens has spent the past two decades in K-12 education as a middle and high school social studies teacher, dean of students, assistant principal and headmaster. He is a licensed principal and superintendent in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and has worked in urban, suburban, and international schools. Previously, Dr. Wiens was also head men's soccer coach at Bethel University.
In his free time, Dr. Wiens enjoys time with his wife, Katie, son Eliot, Great Dane Griswold, reading writing, travel and sports of all kinds. He hopes to live to see the Twins win another World Series and the Vikings to win a single Super Bowl.
- Learning Differences
- Learning Differences Practicum
- Curriculum Integration and Classroom Communication
- Secondary Student Teaching Supervision
- Senior Seminar
Membership in Professional Societies
- Council on Educational Standards and Accountability
- Phi Delta Kappa
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- Urban Education/Urban Issues in Education
- Gender & Learning
- Standards in Education
- The Intersection of Faith & Learning
- Independent Schools & Independent School Culture
- Christian K-12 Schools
Papers Published and/or Presented
- Wiens, T.P. & Wiens, K.L. (Eds.) (2012). Building a better school: Essays on exemplary Christian school leadership. Stony Brook, NY: Paideia Press.
- Wiens, T.P. (2012). Christianity, the liberal arts, and 21st century learning. In Wiens, T.P. & Wiens, K.L. (Eds.), Building a better school: Essays on exemplary Christian school leadership (pp.147-159). Stony Brook, NY: Paideia Press.
- Wiens, T. (2012, June and 2011, June). Seven pillars of effective independent schools. Vanderbilt University Peabody Professional Institute for Independent School Leadership. Nashville, Tennessee.
- Wiens, T. (2012, June). Examining the cultural context of independent schools. Vanderbilt University Peabody Professional Institute for Independent School Leadership. Nashville, Tennessee.
- Wiens, T. (2012, April). Christianity, the liberal arts, and 21st century learning. Council on Educational Standards and Accountability Technology Roundtable. Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Wiens, T. (2011, June). Highly effective schools: Worthy of imitation. Society for Classical Learning Annual Conference. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Wiens, T. (2009, July). Faith Based Schools. Lynch School of Education, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
- Wiens, T. & Bennett, T. (2008, October). Implementation of single-sex classes in a coeducational school. National Association of Single Sex Public Education International Conference, Memphis, Tennessee.
- Wiens, T. (2008, September). Becoming a thinking Christian. Comment Magazine, 59-65
- Wiens, T. (2007, April). Taking faith seriously in school: A conversation. Boston University School of Education, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Wiens, T. (2006). Providing excellence in education in an inequitable society. The Meantime, 6(1),15-19.