Wheaton is committed to the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff participating in off-campus experiences. We take the following measures to ensure that they are prudently prepared for the challenges that may arise:
- All students are required to attend a pre-trip safety orientation meeting.
- If you are traveling abroad as a Wheaton College student, you will be required to have an pre-travel health consultation at the Student Health Services International Travel Clinic.
- Wheaton College contracts with International SOS to provide worldwide travel, medical and security advice and services for all Wheaton College faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad under the auspices of Wheaton College. Detailed information about the services is on the International SOS website.
- We encourage our students to take a self defense class such as that offered by the Applied Health Services department.
Health and Safety Resources
The Wheaton College Student Health Services International Travel Clinic (ITC)
reviews the special services provided by the ITC to Wheaton's International travelers and additional travel health information.
- Safety and Security for US Students Traveling Abroad (PDF) from the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Travel Warnings and Alerts from the U.S. State Department
- Travelers’ Health from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Wheaton College currently sponsors travel to regions where the Zika virus is active. The College continues to monitor the situation and reserves the right to cancel college-sponsored travel at any time. Employees are not required to travel to locations where the Zika virus is known to be active. Further information on the disease, its transmission and prevention can be found on the SHS website.
Other Travel Resources