Since its inception in 2006, CODA’s mission has been to seek out and give artistic access to young, underexposed talents in our community who might not otherwise have the opportunity to develop their creative abilities.
One of the primary ways in which Community School of the Arts (CSA) serves the local community is through our Community Outreach for Developing Artists (CODA) program. CODA currently provides no-cost music instruction to over 900 at-risk children in DuPage County who lack exposure to the arts due to financial and demographic barriers.
Kathy Cathey, Janine Means, Carol Ourada, Anne Sullivan, Joyce Anne Wilder, Lisa Hirschmugl, Ann Storm, Judy Stoner, Rebecca Weddle, Emily Puntuzs and Carol McNeil, CODA Administrator.
Goals of CODA
- Provide a window of opportunity for young, underserved students to experience music and become more culturally aware.
- Assist students with limited-English proficiency through music.
- Make available high-quality music lessons to students with demonstrated ability.
- Contribute to improved student academic achievement through disciplined musical training.
- Play a strong role in character building and enhanced emotional well-being for at-risk children.
- Support area school bands and orchestras by offering long-term instrument training for low-income students.
Questions can be directed to Carol McNeil, CODA Program Administrator, (630)752-5923.