Beethoven’s Buddies (BB) is an innovative music program which facilitates cognitive and emotional growth for students with developmental delays. BB uses integrated materials and assistive technology (such as the iPad) in private lessons. Need-specific resources may include Boardmaker, appropriate music apps and video models for weekly home practice.
BB students have participated in:
- Strengthens gross and fine motor skills, self-esteem and language development
- Enables self-expression and creativity
- Provides social interaction
- Connects families who are raising children with physical and cognitive challenges
- National Guild competitions
- National Keyboard conferences
- Music programs at schools and churches
About the BB Program
Dr. Beth Bauer is the founder of CSA's Beethoven's Buddies program. She is a sought after clinician and speaker and her work with students has been featured in the Chicago Tribune, Clavier Companion Journal and on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Beethoven's Buddies recently received the distinction of being named one of the "Spectacular Educational Programs" in the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn Glancer Magazine. Dr. Bauer also chairs the special needs area for the National Conference of Keyboard Pedagogy and is the Special Needs Program Chair for the Illinois State MTNA Chapter.
Clementi's Colorful Chimes
An instrumental ensemble experience for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities. All music is modified and color-coded to ensure student success. Parents are expected to attend class and aid in helping their children participate.
SAT 11:15-11:45 am | McAlister 139 | Streacker
Private Piano Lessons
Private Piano Lesson Pre-requisite: Successful completion of one year (2 semesters) of Chimes class. Weekly private lessons are structured on the basis of the individual student's IEP, taught by CSA faculty members Dr. Beth Bauer and Noel Streacker. Students are encouraged to participate in an annual studio recital.
30 min/15 weeks | $685
45 min/15 weeks | $955
Steps to Enroll
- Register—Complete the registration form and submit with $35 registration fee to the CSA office.
- Consultation with program coordinator—Placement is contingent upon consultation with Dr Bauer. You may be asked to submit the student's IEP.
- Prepare to purchase/rent a non-electric piano (private lessons only).