Professional TESOL Training
The required courses for this program meet the standards for professional preparation established by TESOL, the international agency for English language teachers.
Graduate students in the M.A. in TESOL program
- Are able to tailor the program to their personal goals, which may include specific areas of teaching (business English, elementary ESL instruction, higher education) and areas of the world (Thailand, Bolivia, Hungary);
- Can select from a variety of teaching and administrative internships in the Chicago area and overseas;
- Are mentored by experienced faculty who have served internationally and have published key books in the field of TESOL;
- Have opportunities to make conference presentations and publish professional articles while in the program;
- Enjoy a rich range of cross-cultural activities in the Chicago metro area, including field trips to ethnic communities and opportunities for teaching and tutoring in a host of local ESL programs;
- Benefit from the department’s broad network of connections to schools, universities, and agencies throughout the world as they prepare for work after they graduate.
Whether students are planning on teaching overseas or in downtown Chicago, the degree equips students for the extensive TESOL opportunities that are available worldwide.