Arriving at Wheaton


Arranging for Mail

Until you have a mailing address in Wheaton, you may have your letters (not parcels) mailed to you in care of:

Office of International Student Services
Wheaton College
501 College Avenue
Wheaton, IL 60187 U.S.A.

"Hold for arrival" should be marked on the envelope. DO NOT send baggage to the Office of International Student Services. The College cannot be responsible for the security of any mail forwarded.

Things to Bring

Climate and clothing

The State of Illinois has a varying climate with four distinct seasons. Temperatures vary considerably from year to year. During spring, summer, and fall, moderate periods of rainfall occur; snow falls periodically during the winter months. Three basic types of clothing are essential. In winter, heavy jackets or overcoats, hats, scarves, gloves, and boots are needed. During chilly autumn and spring days, raincoats or medium-weight wool coats or jackets are worn outdoors, sweaters indoors. A light-weight jacket is sometimes necessary for cool nights during spring, summer, and fall.

Personal items

Most students like to bring examples of arts, crafts, traditional dress, photographs, tapes or CDs, maps, or other items descriptive of their country and culture, both to show interested Americans and to provide a touch of home decoration in their new homes. You may want to bring items you use regularly that may not be readily available, or may be more expensive, in the United States--for example, eyeglasses, cameras, watches, or portable radios. You may also have the opportunity to visit a duty-free port where such items may be purchased at a reduced cost.

If you are an undergraduate who will live on campus, basic furniture is provided in campus residence halls, but bed linens, blankets, pillows, and towels are not. You may rent these items at an additional cost, but they may not be available when you first arrive. If possible, bring a bed sheet, a light blanket, and a towel with you from home or purchase them before moving into a residence hall.

Things to Leave at Home

You can obtain a booklet on customs regulations at the consulate or embassy where you acquire your visa. Prohibited items include some foodstuffs, narcotics, and items for resale. For more information, read the booklet provided by the U.S. Customs Service or visit the U.S. Customs Service website >>

Since students are expected to buy required textbooks for all courses, and supplemental reading materials for review and research are available in libraries, you need not bring any books used in previous study.

It is best to purchase electrical appliances after you arrive: appliances manufactured outside the U.S. may not be compatible with the power supply or may not be allowed inside the residence halls.

Media Center