Immigration Responsibilities for Current Students


There are certain responsibilities you will have to be aware of during your stay in the U.S.

Address reporting

Any alien over the age of 14 who remains in the U.S. for more than 30 days to report his or her address to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) within ten (10) days of the change of address.

Maintaining your F-1 Status

Read about the obligations to follow in order to remain in legal status.

Tax Responsibility

All international students (and accompanying dependents) are required to complete an income tax return annually.


The F-1 Visa allows students to be employed by the school which issued their Form 1-20 Certificate of Eligibility. This is referred to as on campus employment. However, your spouse and children do not have this privilege. You also have the opportunity of applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT).


Helpful Links:

Foreign Consular Offices in the United States >>

U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions of the United States >>

Media Center