From the President
One of the crucial issues that students face in College is “What’s next?” And, “How do I make this investment worthwhile by finding my calling?” Christ-centered liberal arts education is an excellent preparation for leadership and service, but some students find it difficult to make the practical connection to ministry or the marketplace following College.
This summer Wheaton College will launch the Institute for Faith and Vocation. Funded by a generous grant from the Kern Family Foundation, this new institute at the Billy Graham Center for Evangelism will work with Wheaton faculty to deepen and broaden your student’s understanding of the value of work and discernment of their vocation in preparation for life after College.
The Institute will help students relate their faith to work, understand how work is informed by the Christ-centered liberal arts, and deepen their discipleship through the best use of their gifts and abilities. On a larger scale, the Institute will develop biblical, theological, and practically-grounded resources on faith, work, and economics to share with Christians nationally and around the globe.
I wish you and your student refreshment this summer—perhaps a deepening of your own calling—and I look forward to seeing many of you again next fall.
In Christ’s service,
Philip G. Ryken
Welcome New Parents!
The Parent Relations office at Wheaton College looks forward to welcoming you and your student to campus this August. Be watching for a bright orange and blue packet arriving in your mailbox at the end of this month. In it you'll find answers to many of the questions you might be asking about New Parent Orientation, August 22-23, 2014. You can also visit the New Student Orientation and Parent Orientation websites to preview a schedule of events and find tips for assisting your student's move to Wheaton.
All through the year, the Parent Relations office is here to support you as you get to know Wheaton's campus and launch your son or daughter into student life. This newsletter is just one of many resources you'll find at wheaton.edu/parents.
In case you're wondering about upcoming dates when you can visit your student again, how about Family Weekend: November 7-8, 2014. Many parents comment that they love Family Weekend for the chance it gives them to meet their student's friends and to experience a taste of his or her full and creative life at Wheaton. Visit our Family Weekend webpage for a look back at Family Weekend 2013 and for the schedule, coming soon, for Family Weekend 2014.
Residence Life: planning ahead to August?
We know many parents like to get a head-start on travel arrangements for their student's return in August. Here is information you'll need to know about the dates your continuing student is eligible to return to campus housing.
Campus housing opens to new students only on Friday, August 22, between 9am-4pm. Continuing students are invited to return to campus between 2pm on Sunday, August 24, through Tuesday, August 26. Consideration for early arrival housing, without charge, is given only to those continuing students who are sponsored by a faculty or staff member as a required participant in activities which necessitate being on campus prior to Sunday, August 24. Examples of this are fall athletes, student teachers, on-campus employees, and members of student leadership teams. All other early arrival requests will be subject to denial or a nightly charge. Approval will be considered, with a nightly charge, for students meeting these criteria:
- Students arriving early to begin a for-credit internship
- Upperclassmen siblings of new students (fee waived)
- Siblings of sponsored students who are traveling together (fee waived)
- International travel and travel by car beyond two states away
Students must submit requests through the online application found at the Residence Life website and questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Health Services
Student Health Services remains open during the summer. The summer walk-in clinic features free nurse visits, while physician services will be available beginning in July. Massage therapy is also available to active students during the summer months. Call SHS (630-752-5072) for more details.
For new students enrolling in the fall, all medical entrance information is on the SHS website. Health insurance requirements will be available late June. Students should regularly check their my.wheaton email account for notices about health-related requirements.
Student Health Services is a fully equipped medical office with board certified medical professionals, laboratory, pharmacy, international travel clinic, rapid lab tests, free nurse visit consults, medical equipment for rent, massage therapy and a free medical shuttle. More information, posts related to health and wellness, and FAQs are available on our website.
Have a great refreshing summer, and we look forward to seeing you back in the fall!
Beginning July 28, returning students can click on wheatonbooks.com to purchase their textbooks for fall semester. Our online ordering service offers these advantages:
- Expanded textbook rental offerings directly from the Bookstore.
- The chance to compare Wheaton Bookstore prices with the prices of other popular online stores. Our website will link students directly to the title at a third-party site if they decide to purchase their textbook elsewhere.
- The ability for students to use any Financial Aid credit balance they might have to pay for part or all of their order.
- A packaged textbook order ready for pick-up when your student arrives on campus.
The Wheaton Bookstore also offers competitive pricing on computer software and accessories, printer paper, and "residence hall approved" materials for hanging posters and other wall items in the residence halls.
All proceeds from the Wheaton Bookstore go to support the operations, facilities, and programs at Wheaton College.
The Wheaton Fund: Investing in Faculty
Did your student have a favorite class last semester? Chances are, the professor had something to do with why your son or daughter enjoyed that class so much. At Wheaton, your student is learning directly from godly men and women who are respected scholars in their academic fields. These men and women are committed to Christ-centered instruction, which means that they have a heart for investing in your student—in and out of the classroom.
Gifts to the Wheaton Fund provide resources to develop and compensate these faculty members, helping to ensure that Wheaton continues to attract the nation’s best Christian scholar-mentors. Invest directly in your student’s learning when you make a gift to the Wheaton Fund today!
How can you pray for Wheaton this month?
- Pray for our students who are studying or serving internationally this summer with Wheaton's Global and Experiential Learning program (GEL); who are attending the Summer Leadership School (SLS) at HoneyRock; or who are serving in urban or international settings with Global Urban Perspectives (GUP), Student Ministry Partners (SMP), or Youth Hostel Ministry (YHM)
- Pray for our faculty and administrators who are enjoying time in and out of the office this summer, many of them completing books and articles or accompanying our students in international study or service.
- Pray for this summer's launch of the Institute for Faith and Vocation. Pray, too, for all current students and recent graduates who are applying their Wheaton liberal arts education to vocations in service of Christ's Kingdom.
Wishing you a wonderful summer.
The Wheaton College Parent Relations team