To set forth expectations for student's rights and student's responsibilities.
Privacy Practices Notice (PDF)
Opt-Out Form (PDF) - If you, as a patient wish to not have Student Health Services share your health information with any Health Information Exchange (HIE) via the Care Everywhere electronic health record open access function, please fill out the form and send back to SHS.
The patient has a right…
- To be treated with respect and dignity and to be provided with courteous, considerate care;
- To be informed about the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of the health problem in terms that can be understood;
- To know the chances that treatment will be effective and to know the possible risks, side effects and alternative methods of treatment;
- To receive confidential treatment of their disclosures and medical records and, except when required by law, is afforded the opportunity to approve or refuse release; to know who is responsible for providing treatment;
- To have access to a second medical opinion before making any decision. The patient can decide not to be treated, but must be informed of the medical consequences of refusal;
- To participate in decisions involving the health problem;
- To be informed of the personal responsibilities, involved in seeking medical treatment and maintaining health and well-being thereafter;
- To privacy; privacy of person and privacy of personal health information
- To have access to resource persons and information concerning health education, self-care and prevention of illness.
The patient has the responsibility…
- To inform clinician of any changes in their health status that could affect their treatment;
- To adhere to a prescribed treatment plan and to discuss any desired change;
- To act in a considerate and cooperative manner with the Student Health Services staff;
- To treat other patients, staff and clinicians with respect. This includes no cell phone use, recording or photography;
- To ask questions and seek clarification regarding areas of concern;
- To weigh the consequences of refusing to comply with instructions and recommendations;
- To assist the clinicians in compiling a complete record by authorizing the Student Health Services to obtain necessary medical information from appropriate sources;
- To be conscious of respiratory hygiene while in the waiting area with other students and patients;
- To keep appointment on time;
- To cancel appointments only when absolutely necessary, and with at least a 24 hour notice in advance so that other patients might utilize that time.