New Student Parent Letter

Fall 2015


Dear New Student Parent

Sending your son or daughter off to college can be an exciting and overwhelming time.  It is a season full of emotion and growth for all.  There can be increased anxiety with the unknown of this experience.

The Student Care and Services Team (SCST) would like to provide you with information that you will find helpful before you send your student off to college.  This is a letter to you, the parent, about the care and services that your student will receive at college.  We hope to equip you with resources and knowledge that you will find useful to instruct your student to use when and if the time arises. 

The SCST is comprised of four departments and the Associate Dean of Student Care and Services.  The departments are: Academic and Disabilities Services Office, Counseling Center, Graduate Student Care, and Student Health Services (SHS).

My son/daughter has a special need or learning disability.  How can I get them assistance before school begins?

Students are given an enrollment confirmation form during their acceptance time that they can use to self disclose a disability, learning need or physical acute care issue.  Students can request accommodations for a learning, mental health or physical disability through the Academic and Disability Services Office.  Contact our Academic and Disability Services Director, Jennifer Nicodem for further assistance at 630-752-5674 or

Does Wheaton College have a requirement for students to have health insurance?

We believe that it is essential for students to be protected against high medical costs caused by illnesses, injuries and chronic health issues. The College will no longer automatically bill students for a health insurance plan and there will be no online waiver for 2015/16 for students/families to complete. However, the College strongly urges students and families to participate in a comprehensive health plan that offers coverage similar to these guidelines >>.

What services are available at SHS?

SHS is a facility that houses a combination of medical and other services.  There is a walk-in clinic that students can access to see a nurse for free.  Students can see a physician or nurse practitioner after a nurse visit.  SHS has an in-house pharmacy and laboratory.  There is a cost for appointments with physicians or nurse practitioners as well as for labs, vaccines medications. SHS offers a free medical shuttle service to students needing a ride to a doctor or physical therapist appointment or even to get to a pharmacy. SHS can assist with any medical or dietary needs.   All of these services are available to students regardless of health insurance providers.  For more information about the SHS services and hours view this link  

How does SHS charge for their services?

Some services at SHS have a cost and are lower than Medicare prices.  A student does not need to pay at time of service; rather these charges are placed on their student account.  SHS sends students a “walk out" statement in their CPO mailbox.  This statement should be sent to the student’s insurance company with a claim form for partial or total reimbursement.  SHS does not bill insurance companies directly, nor do we send these walk out statements to the students’ home. Students must be proactive in sending these statements home to their parents or their insurance companies. 

What other entrance requirements are there for students and will I be notified about these requirements?

Every new student will be notified of the entrance medical requirements via their “mywheaton” e-mail account and also by with a postcard sent to the address on file at the Admission office.  Parents are not notified of these requirements or what information is still outstanding.  Please encourage your student to check their e-mail frequently for information.  There is a deadline and a non refundable late fee if these requirements on not completed on time.

What if my son/daughter needs some emotional support, what do I do?

College is a fun, but sometimes a stressful place.  Most of the time all your student may need is a listening ear from you. However, there will be times that further care will be needed. The Counseling Center is staffed by trained and licensed counseling staff.  They are specialized in assisting students as they walk through their college years. Counseling services are free.  You can contact the Counseling Center at 630-752-5321.

I would like to know if my student has been seen at SHS or the Counseling Center.  How can I get this information?

When a student reaches the age of 18 years, the federal government views them as an adult for most medical and psychological services.  SHS and the Counseling Center must adhere to these federal and state laws of privacy and disclosure of information.  This is a difficult hurdle for you as a parent as you are usually the ones paying the bills and believe that you should have access to this information.  Information regarding attendance, care, and billing can only be released to parents if a student signs a general release form.

If you have questions or concerns about your student, we encourage you to call SHS or Counseling Center. We appreciate hearing your concerns.   We can give you advice as to how to assist your student in seeking help. Of course, if a student is unconscious or is unsafe to themselves or others, SHS and the Counseling Center will contact the parent/guardian either in person or through the Associate Dean of Student Care and Services. It is very important that you write down the correct US phone number and name of contact on your student’s health history form that is part of the required entrance medical information.  

My student is not doing well academically and emotionally and wants to come home. What do I do?

Begin by directing your concern and questions to the Associate Dean of Student Care and Services. The dean will work with your student, coordinating care with SCST resources and exploring options to help your student achieve his or her goals. You can set up an appointment with Allison Ash, our Associate Dean of Student Care and Services by calling 630-752-5941.


The Student Care and Service Team

Media Center