About the Scholarship
- An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
Scholarship Details and Application
- Scholarships will be awarded on a sliding scale, meaning students can apply for up to $3,000 for an unpaid or underpaid internship experience. Students will need to justify their request for funds with a simple budget that will be completed in the application.
- Applications will be evaluated based on financial need as well as merit.
- In order to apply for the scholarship, you must complete the online application. The application deadline was Monday, April 3.
- A faculty or staff recommendation is a required component of the application. Request a faculty member to fill out this form using the form below. The recommendation form is due no later than Friday, April 7.
- Undergraduate students must have reached junior or senior status by summer 2017.
- You must have secured or actively be in the process of securing an internship.
- You must be in good academic standing.
Internship Requirements and Credit
- The internship does not need to be completed for credit, but can be, in order to qualify for this scholarship.
- The internship must start during summer 2017.
- At a minimum, the internship needs to be 160 hours or four credit hours if being completed for credit.
- If you are not receiving credit for the internship, you must enroll in the zero credit internship course in order to receive scholarship funds.
Students receiving scholarship funds will be required to:
- Complete up to 12 hours of reflective work based on the internship experience.
- Commit to the Community Covenant while participating in the internship.
- Attend internship prep and follow-up events on campus.