Wheaton College Archives & Special Collections
Articles from the Media
- An Effective Solution to the Poverty of Nations Based on Scripture and Economics - Address by Wayne Grudem. January 23, 2014. View the event video.
- High Impact Giving: International Child Sponsorship - Address by Bruce Wydick. October 3, 2013. View the event video.
- Is Economic Growth Moral? - Address by Stephen Smith. January 17, 2013. View the Event Video.
- Public Sector Unions - Address by Max Schanzenbach. November 15, 2012. View event video.
- Panel discussion - Energy Markets and Politics: Responsible Stewardship of God’s Resources. Panelists: Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, Floyd Kvamme, and Bob Inglis. October 30, 2012. View event video.
- The Economic Impact of the Supreme Court’s Health Care Decision - Address by Thom Lambert. September 25, 2012. View event video.
- Panel Discussion on Fiscal Imbalances (Part 2) - Bill Scholl, President of First Security Bancorp, Little Rock, Arkansas and Casey Mulligan, University of Chicago, Professor of Economics. Moderated by Seth Norton, Hastert Center Director. April 11, 2012 - View event video.
- The Missionary Roots of Liberal Democracy - Lecture by Robert Woodberry ('87)
Robert Woodberry is Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of Texas. He is an expert in the long term economic impact of missionary efforts on post colonial societies. Response by Michael Gerson, nationally syndicated columnist for the Washington Post and Hastert Fellow. March 27, 2012 - View event video.
- Politics, Economics & Energy - Address by William A. Von Hoene, Jr., Executive Vice President of Finance and Legal for Exelon. The lecture, presented in the Science Lecture Hall, was preceded by a roundtable discussion in MSC 204. March 15, 2012 - View Event Video.
- In Praise of the 10,000-Mile Diet: How the Globalized Food Supply Chain Benefits our Economy and Environment - Lecture by Pierre Desrochers, Associate Professor of Geography at the University of Toronto, Senior Research Fellow at the Center for the History of Political Economy at Duke University, and a Julian Simon Fellow at the Property and Environment Research Center (PERC). February 22, 2012 - View Event Video.
- Entitled to Growth: Land Titling and Economic Development in Urban Slums? - Address by Erica Field, the John L. Loeb Associate Professor of Economics at Harvard University, on the relationship between property rights and economic stability. November 16, 2011 - View Event Video.
- Panel Discussion on the topic of fiscal imbalances - Panelists included Speaker Dennis Hastert, Congressman Bobby Rush, Andrew G. Biggs from the American Enterprise Institute, and Casey B. Mulligan, Professor of Economics, University of Chicago. Michael Gerson, Washington Post columnist and Hastert Fellow, moderated the discussion. October 20, 2011 - View Event Video.
- The Plundered Planet and the Poorest Countries - An address by Paul Collier. September 14, 2011. - View Video
- Does Capitalism Have a Soul? An informal debate with Jim Wallis, President of Sojourners and Arthur Brooks, President of the American Enterprise Institute. Moderated by Michael Gerson. October 28, 2010 - View Video
- Robert Lane lecture: Human Flourishing Fullfilling the High Calling of Business Leadership - April 22, 2010 - View Video
- Emerging Economies After the Crisis: Can Success Stories Teach Something to the Developed World? - Panel discussion with John B. Taylor and Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada. - March 2010 - View Video
- AEI/ Hastert Center Discussion- December 16, 2009
Is Capitalism Worth Saving? The Case for Free Enterprise
- Lecture by John P. Calamos- October 28, 2009
Financial Investment and Entrepreneurship - View Video
- Lecture by Speaker Dennis Hastert- January 29, 2009
The Environment: What Can Public Policy Do? - View Video
- Inaugural Lecture by Dr. Javier Comboni-September 19, 2008
Latin America under Globalization: Market Reforms, Government Intervention, and Economic Development
Market Capitalism Conference, September 23 & 24, 2009
- PLENARY SESSION ONE (MP3 download)
Presenter: John Witte
Christian Protestant Foundationsof Liberty, Equality, Basic Rights, and Democracy
Respondent: Peter J. Hill
Connecting the Dots: Economics, Christianity, and Human Rights
- PLENARY SESSION TWO (MP3 download)
Presenter: Andrew Yuengert
Thinking About Markets, Acting in Markets
Respondent: Jeffrey P. Greenman
- PLENARY SESSION THREE (MP3 download)
Presenter: Lord Griffiths of Fforestfach
A Theology of Market Capitalism
Respondent 1: D. Brent Waters
Response to A Theology of MarketCapitalism
Respondent 2: Bryan T. McGraw
Moral and Cultural Worries about Market Capitalism
- Final Panel Discussion (MP3 download)
Lord Griffiths of Fforestfach
Peter J. Hill
Bryan T. McGraw
Moderator: Javier Comboni
- "Reflections" by C. William Pollard (MP3 download)
- "Post-Election Roundtable Discussion" November 10, 2011 with Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, Michael J. Gerson, Amy Black, and Larycia Hawkins - (MP3 download)
- "Legislating in a Globalized Environment: Preserving and Promoting Competitiveness" - November 17, 2009
(MP3 download) - Former Speaker J. Dennis Hastert
- Financial Crisis Panel Discussion - Javier Comboni, J. Dennis Hastert Center; Martin Essenburg, Standard Chartered Bank, UK; Seth Norton, Professor of Business, Wheaton College; Brian Wesbury, First Trust Financial - November 03, 2009 (MP3 download)
- "The Virtue of Profit" (MP3 download)- C. William Pollard - April 23, 2009
Transcription of "The Virtue of Profit" (PDF)
- Technology Development in the Current Economic Environment (MP3 download)- Floyd Kvamme
April 14, 2009
Transcription of "Technology Development in the Current Economic Environment"
- Panel Discussion on the Financial Crisis II (MP3 download)- February 25, 2009
- “Integrating with the European Union: Luxembourg's Economic and Financial Markets” (MP3 download) - January 15, 2009
- Panel Discussion on the Financial Crisis - November 12, 2008
- "Venture Capital and Innovation" - Floyd Kvamme, October 29, 2008
Transcription of "Venture Capital and Innovation" (PDF)
- "The Political Economy of Information Technology: East Asia and the role of China" - Floyd Kvamme, October 29, 2008
- Interview of Dr. Dorothy Chappell, Dean of Natural and Social Sciences and Dr. Javier Comboni on the WETN Morning Show - September 2008
- Dr. Comboni interviewed on Moody Radio's Morning Show - October 3, 2008 (Windows Media format)
Special thanks to Moody Radio for providing the recording of this interview.